Vega was able to guide Ecopetrol to a successful solution, leveraging our experience and local resources.
Ecopetrol (NYSE: EC) is a state-managed agency under the Columbian Ministry of Mines and Energy. Ecopetrol manages all facets of the Columbian gas industry including upstream (research, discovery and capacity planning) and downstream (transportation, refining and sale).
Ecopetrol engaged Vega to provide oversight and architectural analysis for its planned implementation of IBM FileNet P8 in compliance of state mandated records management requirements. Vega leveraged its understanding of records management and the petroleum industry to assist Ecopetrol in implementation of a distributed content management system. This system allows enforced control of service and engineering records for broadly dispersed equipment including pumping stations, pipelines, refineries, and communications stations.
The challenge: To centralize storage of relevant content including scanned maintenance documents, engineering archives, service records and CAD drawings over very limited satellite data links. A tactical method of storing secured content at remote sites while providing centralized control was required. Vega was able to guide Ecopetrol to a successful solution, leveraging our experience and local resources. Through a process of rigorous planning, practical mentoring, and deep solutions knowledge Ecopetrol was able to meet its goal on time and on budget.
This initiative was implemented using IBM FileNet P8 3.5.2 with a focus on the following challenges:
- Centralized records control in P8 for both compliance and ISO9000 enforcement
- Geographic distribution allowing data files in excess of 5Gb in size to be locally available to remote sites over limited bandwidth, while maintaining strict security of content
- Understanding and minimizing licensing impact of core products in a distributed environment
- Centralization of document validation in a distributed capture environment
- Automation of records and life-cycle management
- Conversion of key content collection from hard-copy to electronic forms
Clearly such an aggressive undertaking was not achieved immediately. Ecopetrol implemented content management, records management and limited process management over 2 calendar years. Software and services costs (internal and external) were estimated to be $1.6 million.
Sorry! No About Author Shortcode Found.